I am not a huge fan of Halloween as an adult — we have to do all the work and really don’t get to have too much fun. We have to hunt out the impossible-to-find costume, or worse — make it. We have to take the kids out trick-or-treating and don’t get to share in the candy and then we have to deal with the dreaded sugar high and inevitable crash and beg them to go to bed.
It’s lame, but the kids have so much fun, it’s better to put on that fake happy face and make it a memorable “holiday” for them. If you’re looking for the perfect meal to cook on Halloween that will fill your kids up on the good food, before they sugar themselves up, stuffed peppers have all the key points of a good meal. By carving the peppers out like you would a pumpkin, you’re upping the adorable, memorable factor and you can rest assured you’ve done your part for making this a memorable day for your kids.
Want the recipe? Here it is!
- 4 green/red/orange bell peppers; tops cut off & seeds removed & carved
- 1 cup white rice cooked to directions
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup chopped sweet peppers (red, green, orange)
- 1 onion; chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- grated cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- prepare rice to directions
- preheat oven to 375
- heat pan with olive oil and cook ground beef and chopped onion/corn/chopped peppers until cooked through.
- add cumin and chili spices
- Carve out peppers like a pumpkin, remove seeds, and cut off lids
- mix the cooked rice with the cooked ground beef/veggie/rice mixture
- stuff the carved out peppers with ground beef and top with grated cheese
- place in preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes
- Pull out, let cool a little and enjoy!